Thursday, August 18, 2011

Musings on life

Came across some quotations recently.

"When the baby was born, I felt like I had just witnessed a miracle. Before I saw Kiera with my own eyes, she was like a fantasy-enigma that we were all pretending was there inside Shannon's belly. I couldn't wrap my mind around it, and then all of a sudden, it was real — here was this beautiful, perfect baby girl with a body, breathing the same air I was."

The article from which I pulled the quotation is on homebirth. But it is interesting that the author mentions it's hard to see the baby as real when she's inside her mommy. Even with the big belly, it's hard to believe there's a real little baby in there. Then she's out--and you can see her, hold her, touch her, she has a name and a face and a personality. Maybe this is part of why some people accept the killing of these babies? Is this why it's okay to kill a fetus at 30 weeks but not a newborn 10 weeks premature? I also hate the hangup on looks, as if a baby who is quite literally a blob of cells at a few days old has less value than a little one who can hiccup and suck her thumb and kick little feet. Littler and less developed tends to make people more protective... until that means looking "not human," whatever a specific person means by that.

PS Our first home study visit is TONIGHT; please pray for us!

My savior was beaten until He didn't look human. And then He died to save humanity.

And of course nowadays I relate everything to adoption. It's easy to ignore a description of a child with no picture. It's less easy to ignore a picture, even a poor one. It's even harder to ignore a picture of a sweet boy who is smiling at the camera. But behind every picture is a real child, and if we held and talked to that little boy or girl there's no way we'd be able to turn our backs... at least, I hope not, and I wouldn't. So remember that all children, whatever their size, whatever their abilities, are so precious to God. They are living human beings equal in value to you.

And I'm gonna save the other quotation for later, because two children that I have and hold every day want me now :)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home