Thursday, August 26, 2010

Babywearing revisited

I've posted on babywearing before, here.

But two Sundays ago I found a Moby wrap on the Exchange Table at church... and so I picked it up and have been doing some babywearing with it over the past week.

Suddenly I understand how people do that, to some extent at least... my major issue--back pain--is not a problem, because the Moby distributes Baby's weight much better. It's a bit more natural, and isn't (quite) as stupid-looking to be wearing without the baby. It doesn't press on all the wrong places (though I could do without the knot at the small of my back; either it's not long enough or I'm not skinny enough to bring it around and tie it in the front.

Some things I've noticed:

Worn babies still fuss for no discernible reason. I'd thought that worn babies in aboriginal societies and such never cry, especially when not tired... well, it happens. Especially if the worn baby is bored.

Not all tasks can be done while wearing an eight month old. For instance, if one tries to wear an eight month old while emptying the dishwasher, he may take bowls away from you and threaten to lob them across the room. Didn't try cooking; smarter than that (after the dishes, anyway).

Given enough time, an eight-month-old can probably unwear himself. He can definitely get his arms out, and seeing as he's almost escaped a stroller once, I'm pretty sure falling asleep wearing him is unwise.

Wearing a baby in a moby is not painless--but the pain is more of an I-exercised pain than an I-did-something-horribly-unnatural-to-my-back pain.

I can actually feel my baby's body language--how cool is that? I can tell if he's tense or relaxing, where he's looking.... maybe if I did more babywearing I could even try some EC.

Do not attempt to catch a 2-year-old coming down a slide while front-wearing an eight-month-old.

All in all, I am very happy to have a Moby and wishing I'd gotten one in May of 2008. But that's a lot to spend after I'd tried quite a few 20-buck carriers and not liked any... I might start buying them for baby showers or something though

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Diana/WrapYourBaby said...

With an eight month old, definitely try a woven wrap for a painless carry that they will stay secure in. Arms out is okay, as long as the rest of them stays secure. A woven will make for a great back carry, too, which is when you can empty your dishwasher and catch kids coming down the slide!

Mine is eight months, too! A joy and a handful!

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Natalie said...

I love my Moby! Especially when they're really little, like the first six months. After that I prefer a mei tai and a back carry, although Diana above is right that a woven wrap is great for that too!

Also, seems like my two were less keen on being worn a lot after they got mobile. Once they could move around they usually only wanted worn when tired or clingy or needing to nurse.

It makes outings so much easier, though, because they're usually too busy looking at everything to want to get down (at least at first)!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Young Christian Woman said...

Peter still loves being worn; some days I can barely put him down. Lots of wearing him while chasing his sister this weekend!

I don't trust a back carry; I'm not that good and I'm afraid he'd be after my hair the whole time....

4:17 AM  
Blogger Hyper Bueno said...

Your baby is way too old for a moby! Despite what the tag says, if they are mobile and strong, they can get out of this. We stopped using at 4 months and I have heard 18lbs is a good limit.
I agree with Diana, try a woven, or Beco or Ergo for a bigger babe. We LOVE to wear our baby and she is super calm! If you have the right carrier, you will find that you can do almost anything. I make dinner with her on my back and work on my blog or emails with her napping on me.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really precious to be so close to your little one, isn't it :)

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Jodi said...

Hey Jessi,
Just popping in to see how you're doing. Some of the ladies at TOK have been missing you and wondering where you disappeared to. Hope everything's alright and you're just taking an internet break - we could all probably do with one :)
Love,
Jodi

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You actually just picked up someone's (accidentally left)garment and stole it?

10:41 AM  
Blogger Young Christian Woman said...

No. The Exchange table is a place at our church where people leave gently used items for other members of the church family who may want or need them.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that if your wee babe had been smaller when first introduced to wearing, you could be doing more, wee babe just doesn't understand some of the "rules of wearing/being worn!" I am a Granny and I wear/wore my grandbabes for ages...they are now 5 and 3 and I miss it so much! We are cuddlers though, on the couch, in the bed, all over! I love how they randomly reach out to touch me to see if I am there, I am truly blessed.
PS. I love the tables with goods, I drop mine off just as much if not more than I pick up, we also have a free store here, amazing!

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home