Monday, January 19, 2009

Eugenics

This article was shared in the comments on another blog:
http://www.slate.com/id/2208633/?gt1=38001

If you don't want to read it, it's a take on a couple who screened IVF embryos for possible genetic cancers. The article is pro-life. There were 11 children conceived in a dish. Six had the gene for breast canceer. Three had "other defects." These nine children were put to death, and their remaining siblings were given a chance. One of these died (likely also a casualty of the IVF process). The remaining daughter then became an infant, thus gaining some civil rights.

The family will now know they are not passing on the cancer gene.

Obviously, I find this abhorrent. If there were a way for me to take those nine little girls and boys myself, I would do it in a heartbeat--cancer, other defects, and all. After all, most of us don't have any guarantees. I can deal with "might get cancer someday," and I'd rather have "will definitely have cancer some day" than "was killed at the instruction of her own parents."

I am reminded of a Star Trek episode, the Masterpiece Society http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/The_Masterpiece_Society_(episode)
The Enterprize is trying to save a colony of people who have genetically engineered the perfect society. Geordi (the chief engineer, born blind) is able to come up with a solution based on the technology that allows him to see. Throughout the course of the episode, though, it also becomes clear that Geordi would never have been allowed to be born in that society. (There are other themes and subplots too, which I am ignoring).

And I am wondering, how many of us are perfect enough that we were worthy to be born? I have weak eyes, as does my husband. His back is bad. I probably have the "fat gene," and I have polycystic ovaries. My husband has mild hypoglycemia, and I had gestational diabetes. I imagine most have a similar list. And of course, we all have a sin nature. We have caused pain to others. There was only one perfect human being--and he caused his mother just what those parents of the eleven were hoping to avoid: watching her child die at a young age.

Mary saw the child who had been a miracle beaten until he was unrecognizable, tortured, and stabbed. She saw her son die through no fault of his own, but because of the Fall and mankind's sin.

Wouldn't it be better if he didn't have to go through that?

Today's sign of pregnancy: hormones, insomnia, hormones, warmth, hormones, libido, hormones, and hormones.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a sad story. :(

Thank you for blogging it and bringing it to my attention. The parallel with Christ is beautiful and so true....

Ashley
www.homesteadblogger.com/Jonash2004

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home