Monday, January 25, 2010

In the midst of struggles

I just lost a huge, marathon post on some of my struggles right now.

Maybe there is a reason for that?

The important part is not the struggles.

Here is what is important, so perhaps it is appropriate that it be the bulk of the post rather than a footnote.

The one task I can be completely sure, in this life, that God has appointed for me is to care for the children of my womb, because God and God alone opens and closes the womb. My special area of ministry and missions is in my home, where I am called to be a servant to my husband and my children. While I may struggle with some aspects of what I am called to do, at times, my attitude should not be one of resentment, reluctance, fear, or even just getting through it:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, rejoice!
Philippians 4:4

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as if working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23-24

Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:58b

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2:10

So when I make my husband a lunch--the one thing I do just for him that has no benefit to me--I need to do so with as much cheer as if I had been asked to do so for Jesus. When I spend time with my daughter--who I am so blessed to have--I need to focus on her and love her like that was the most important task in the world--and in truth, it's hard to think of many that matter more. When I wake at night for the third time to feed my beautiful new baby boy, I need to do so with joy and with thankfulness. And as I prepare this temple for the possibility that the Sovereign God of all the universe, the Master Artist who created every living thing, might once again choose to join with my husband and I in using us to create His newest masterpiece, and use me to nurture and grow a new soul created in His very Image (what greater honor or privilege could there be?), I need to give myself to that task with my full heart, rejoicing that all of this truly is for Him.

Sometimes I try to live like that, though I usually fall short. Self-sacrifice? Yes, but what better things could I do with my self? God's divine purpose for my life goes far beyond what I could come up with.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home