Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wisdom vs. Foolishness

So on Wednesday I was blessed with two children who took a nap at the same time. Of course--especially after my bathroom-cleaning experience--I wanted to do something productive. I started to put away the dishes in my dishwasher. But something about that didn't sit right. What would God have me do? Memorize scripture? No--closer but still not quite right. What God wanted me to do, in the quiet house while my children slept, was to pray on my knees.

And so that's what I did.

And then he wanted me to work on memorizing some scripture.

And so I did. And I had heard that skills stick better if one takes a nap after--and I was falling asleep. And so I napped. And I woke up, and worked some more on memorizing scripture. And then the children woke up, and we took a walk, and I worked on reciting the scripture I memorized. (I guess I did it quite a bit, because this morning I started to recite it and Hannah said, "I don't like that song.")

Because while now I am eager to clean in worship of God, if that's not what God has for me right now, it isn't worshiping God. And doing His will is more important than a clean house. Even though I really want a clean house.

And doing God's will is wisdom. So perhaps from a worldly perspective, praying and memorizing scripture while my children slept was not a wise use of my time--but if what God gave me to do seems like foolishness, it is only because God's thoughts and ways are not ours.


For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. (I Corinthians 3:19a)


Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? (I Corinthians 1:20)


God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise. (I Corinthians 1:27a)


The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing. (I Corinthians 1:18a)


Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a "fool" so that he may become wise. (I Corinthians 3:18)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home