Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Good Works that God Prepared in Advance for Us To Do

(a continuation of the series on cleaning my bathroom--yes, I'm writing a series on cleaning the bathroom)

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10)

So I've heard this verse before, but I had always heard/applied it in the context of charity, of doing things for others.

But as I cleaned my bathroom window, this is a verse that came to me.

The good works God has for us can be mundane household tasks, as well--like cleaning the bathroom window, or the toilet. And as I cleaned, I realized that the very process of entropy--the dirtying and breaking down of everything around us--is part of God's plan to prepare good works for us. That God, in his infinite wisdom and mercy and grace and goodness, while I had neglected my house, had been preparing good works for me... good works like toilets that needed cleaning. I saw that the little cup my toilet brush sits in was dirty... and I praised God for preparing that task for me. I was doing God's will. He had been giving me these good works, though I hadn't seen or recognized them as such. I had missed opportunities in the past to do His work in taking care of our house (which is, of course, His), but I could do it now.

I haven't managed to get back to that place since that morning, but maybe while I am waiting for Hannah to pick up so we can go for a walk, I can clean some windows.... Now at least I want to do these things instead of dreading them :)

(To Be Continued)

Part 1

Part 3

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

Ah, but when you clean the bathroom, you are doing for others. When you do laundry, you are clothing the naked. When you make a snack, you are giving drink to the thirsty. And Christ himself tells us that doing it for the least of these is the same as doing it for Him.

Glad the laundry hints helped out!

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home